This is another fun and colorful medium to use for sensory play - rainbow rice! It's SO easy and quick to make, and Bean loves it. So here's the how to:
1. Take 5 cups of white rice and put inside a sandwich size zip lock bag.
2. Add 2 tablespoons of rubbing alcohol (Brand name 'Isocol' if your trying to find it in Australia).
3. Add 30 - 50 drops of food coloring. This is variable depending on how bright you want the colour to end up, I usually use about 40 or so drops.
4. Close the bag, squeezing out the air, and rub the contents around until the colour is evenly spread through.
5. Empty the rice out onto baking trays or baking paper to dry (overnight is best as it takes a few hours).
...and that's it! Easy peasy!
Rainbow rice has SO many uses. We generally use it either in a variety of bowels for scooping play, or in a clear tub on the light panel, but it would also make a great addition to a sensory table (which is on the Christmas list for Bean!). It can also be incorporated into arts and crafts, and would make a bright shaker in a clear tub or jar for little ones, and the list goes on!
Hope you're having a colorful day!